Monday, July 12, 2010

Bombings in Kampala

This morning during breakfast, we found out that there had been two bombings last night in Kampala, the capitol city of Uganda, which is located approximately five hours (driving) from Mbarara.

We had an impromptu meeting, and what will happen--whether or not we’ll be pulled out of the country, that is--remains to be seen. It depends on the situation in Kampala and by DE’s assessment of our risk here. As I mentioned, we’re quite some ways from Kampala, but at the same time, I think we would rather be safe than sorry, and I don’t think DE wants 10 undergraduates to be stuck in Uganda if anything else happens. So we’ll see how things progress in the next few days.

I wanted to make it explicit that I am in a pretty safe area despite everything and that I’m not particularly worried about my well-being in Mbarara (or in Kashongi, which is far more rural). I’m careful, yes, but not paranoid, and I also trust that DE will remove us from the country if necessary. From what I’ve read so far, I feel like these bombings were an isolated event, but who knows? I trust that we’re in good hands, though, so don’t worry! We will all be home before you know it.

On a happier note: We spent a wonderful weekend at Queen Elizabeth National Park! It wasn’t exactly restful (we woke up at 5:40 AM Sunday morning for a sunrise game drive), but it was fun nevertheless. Pictures soon.

1 comment: