Friday, June 4, 2010

The Big Picture

A few days ago, Adam and I were discussing my upcoming summer (one of the many conversations we've had about it), and I expressed some of my anxieties and worries about the trip.

I know I'm going to miss my family and home, and as prepared as I may try to be, it would be silly to pretend I won't be affected by my new surroundings. My international travel experiences are limited--especially to environments like Uganda--and I've never had to (1) sleep under a mosquito net, (2) brush my teeth with bottled water, (3) take cold showers by necessity... the list could continue.

In essence, my life has been pampered by luxuries that are about to disappear. Will I be able to adapt? Am I going to be miserable despite my best efforts? (Those close to me should know that I'm somewhat of a control freak. During the school year, my e-mail is meticulously tagged and organized, and my day is usually scheduled down to the minute. My DE interviewer laughed and said perhaps then this summer would be a learning experience for me.)

Then, Adam reminded me of something important: this trip is not about me. And as much as I had known that, I'd somehow lost sight of it in the preparations and packing, which only fueled my worries that I would forget something important, be ill-prepared for the climate, pack too little mosquito repellent.

So I've learned to take a deep breath, relax, and remember the big picture--our work and the community we're there to serve. It has never been about my comfort (DE, after all, isn't paying for me to vacation in Africa) or how I benefit from the program, although I obviously do simply from being enriched by the experience. Reflecting upon our conversation, I was selfish to worry so needlessly in the first place.

I'm going to do my best to embrace these changes. It's time to get back to the basics.

1 comment:

  1. I'm proud to say that I can see the ways this trip is making you a better person even before you leave! I cannot wait for you to come back and help me see the world through brighter eyes.

    ReplyDelete