Tuesday, June 22, 2010

SM: Perspectives From the Other Side

I worked at SM today! It may have been my first day at the intervention, but I hope it’s not my last.

I spent the morning with WSH, but after our meeting with the CVCs, we didn’t need everyone for the focus group and collecting water samples, thus my switch. I actually enjoyed it a great deal--much more than I initially thought I would. (I know, what a preemptive naysayer.)

SM was a fairly easy transition. While WSH is more about creation and planning something entirely new, like our education campaign, SM is all about routine and picking up your roles quickly. I mainly worked at the prescription station with Sister Jackie, who prescribes both “routine” drugs (folic acid, fansidar, ferrous sulfate, and mebendazole) and drugs for complications (panadol/paracetamol, amoxyl/amoxicillin, and erythromycin). As she dictated what she needed, I gathered the drugs, handily pre-bagged in standard quantities, and filled out the prescription instructions sheet. Because there was some confusion last year about the prescriptions, Claire created this sheet in Runyankole so the women can know exactly what they are taking and the specific directions. Whenever I could, I would be counting out and bagging more medications so we’d always have a ready supply on hand.

During a brief break in the afternoon, Jacques, our on the ground coordinator, taught me how to take blood pressure (with stethoscope and cuff), so I was able to help record vitals after that. I ended up going back to Sister Jackie shortly after we finished registering the last few women, though.

The routine and structure of SM was a welcome change from the sometimes-messy and unpredictable processes of WSH, but ironically, SM regulars wish there would be more room for creation and initiative in the intervention. That said, the grass may look greener on the other side, but I think it’s important to remember that this summer is not about us and that we should make the best of our situation--whichever group we’re in.

Back to WSH tomorrow.

P.S. An interesting thing I noticed when I took vitals: Many women have no idea what you’re doing. For example, we had a tape measure set up for height, but when you tried to demonstrate standing next to it, she would often just stand up straighter where she was (like 3 feet away from the measure). Same deal with trying to get them to put their arm out for the BP cuff or putting the thermometer underneath their tongue. The language barrier certainly doesn’t help matters. I really need to learn more Runyankole, but unfortunately I’m afraid WSH people are lagging a bit behind SM because we don’t need it as regularly.

3 comments:

  1. I love reading about what you are doing with SM and WSH! It's awesome that you are involved with both. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! We will have a post-birthday celebration when you are back in the states :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!!

    Two girls brought me back some wildflowers from their morning run, and I've been having a pretty good day. Sounds good on the post-birthday celebration, but you guys also gave me and Dad a pre-birthday celebration! So no worries either way :)

    ReplyDelete