Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Pineapples and Happiness

On Mondays, the SM location is right next to a bustling village market, so the students will frequently go get banana “pancakes” (fried slices of banana) and pineapple. When you buy a pineapple there, it costs 400 shillings (~20 cents) and the vendors skin and slice it into quarters for you on the spot. (For price comparison, we [the students] can buy pineapple here in Mbarara for 2,000 shillings, or 1 USD. When we told our translator Becky, a local university student, about our great price, she shook her head and said that she pays 1,000 shillings.)

With this in mind, I had Claire bring me back an uncut pineapple this Monday. We can get it cut for us at Tank Hill (they take the pineapple and do it for us, even though my mom already conveniently taught me how to cut a pineapple over the phone), and we ate it with dinner today. Claire and I offered some to other people, but I’m pretty sure we ate a fair share of it.

Can you really blame us?? Yummmm pineapple-y goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment