Friday, June 25, 2010

Joga Bonito

"The world of the World Cup is the world I want to live in. I cannot resist the pageantry and high-mindedness, the apolitical display of national characteristics, the revelation of human flaws and unexpected greatnesses, the fact that entire nations walk off the job or wake up at 3 A.M. to watch men kick a ball."
-The Thinking Fan’s Guide to the World Cup

I love watching the World Cup

I discovered its joy in 2006, during the last tournament hosted in Germany. At the time, I was conducting research at MUSC and was often given free time by my mentor when we had to wait for a 2-3 hour incubation period. The first few times this happened, I wandered down to the cafeteria, per his suggestion, but finding only overpriced hospital food, I quickly bored.

Then, I discovered the TVs in a sitting area in front of the library. I rooted for whichever team I wanted (but ultimately fell for Germany), cheered when Jens Lehmann’s saves in the penalty shootout propelled Germany over Argentina, and reveled in the pureness of beautiful futbol.

Four years later, I’m in Africa as the World Cup tournament is being played on African soil for the first time. If I can’t be in South Africa itself, this is certainly the next best option. Our hostel, Tank Hill, plays the games on the television in the dining area, and we’ll frequently join Ugandans who flock from nearby to watch the 5 and 9:30 PM games.

A June 22 NYT article read:
"Well before the tournament began, South Africa had arguably exhibited an overflow of optimism. A pre-tournament poll conducted for FIFA, the international soccer bosses, showed that one in eight South Africans thought their team would win the World Cup. Only 22 percent believed that the team would fail to advance beyond the first round."
Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like African nations are doing that well, despite high hopes and an Africa United ad campaign ("Let’s go Africa. Let’s go 2010."). I was certainly rooting for Africa, although I’m a bit torn for the upcoming U.S.-Ghana game tomorrow.

But no worries. In the end, I’m just rooting for the beautiful game.

No comments:

Post a Comment