Friday, June 25, 2010

Twenty-One in Uganda

"One of the signs of passing youth is the birth of a sense of fellowship with other human beings as we take our place among them."
-Virginia Woolf

I had a wonderful 21st birthday! Early in the morning, both my parents and Adam called to wish me a happy birthday--pretty much the best gift I could have asked for, especially since I know they had to stay up later than usual to do it. As I’ve said before, I feel incredibly blessed to have people back home who love and are thinking about me.

The nice gestures didn’t stop there. Bean and Rachel surprised me with a beautiful bouquet of wildflowers in the morning, and the group treated me to dinner at one of Lake View’s restaurants. We stopped at a supermarket for ice cream on the way back to Tank Hill. Soooo good. The U.S. was also kind enough to finally score against Algeria in their crucial group stage match, so we’re advancing onto the next round of the World Cup! Unfortunately, we’re playing Ghana... the last African nation in the World Cup finals. I’m a bit torn, honestly. I want the U.S. to do well, but I was/am also rooting for Africa.

The only downside: Got my first mosquito bite of Uganda today. But no big deal! I still had a great day. Thank you to everyone who sent birthday wishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment